Is Chiropractic Care Safe during Pregnancy?
Are adjustments safe during pregnancy?
Spinal adjustments are safe, natural treatments chiropractors use to successfully manage soft tissue abnormalities in pregnancy. The adjustments are used to treat muscular, ligamentous, joint and neurological problems of the neck, back, pelvis and extremities. They help alleviate pain originating from the spinal and pelvic regions, reduce muscle spasm and tightness, correct biomechanical stresses, and keep the nervous system free from irritation and impingement. Chiropractic spinal adjustments are a safe and successful adjunct to any prenatal care program.
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe for both mother and fetus. Spinal adjustments are especially gentle during pregnancy as far less force is required to correct subluxations. This is due to the increase in hormones causing significant muscle and ligamentous relaxation. Special "adjustive" positions are also used to provide comfort and safety for both mom and fetus.
Doctors of chiropractic can alleviate the uncomfortable symptoms arising from the muscular, ligamentous, and biomechanical stresses encountered during pregnancy. We accomplish this through the use of a number of highly specialized procedures and techniques:
Gentle Spinal Adjustive Procedures - specifically designed for use in the pregnant female
- assist in maintaining a spine free from vertebral misalignments and fixations - optimizing spinal biomechanics
- keep pelvis and spine in correct position/posture
- assist in pain relief by (1) reflexively reducing pain levels, and (2) reducing spinal and pelvic stresses which produce soft tissue pain
- keep tissues and biomechanics functioning optimally to minimize complications during birth
Therapeutic Exercises and Stretches - safe for use during pregnancy
- keep spinal musculature strong, balanced, and pain-free
- enable spinal muscles to maintain the spine and body in a neutral, correct posture
- keep mom active and mobile
Soft Tissue Work - massage, trigger point work, soft tissue mobilization, etc.
- keep muscles relaxed and flexible
- reduces bouts of muscle aches and pains
- reduces spinal stress
Dietary and Nutritional Counseling - unique to the pregnant mother
- prevent neural tube and other birth defects
- increase the chances for a healthy baby
- assist the mother in maintaining optimal energy levels
- keep mother happy and healthy during stressful periods
General Pregnancy Information - general info on pregnancy
- answer mother's questions
- improve mother's health
- optimize birthing process
- enhance baby's health
If you are pregnant, consider the benefits of chiropractic care for you and your future baby. Call us today at (479) 443-0800 for a free consultation or click here to schedule your appointment.
Having trouble getting pregnant? Chiropractic care can help with that too. Learn what chiropractic care can do for fertility.